Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fortunately, I can sit down.



Because tonight I had to go to the bathroom in the dark.  There is no electricity in my bathroom.  Which, this afternoon, didn't seem like a big deal.  But now... well... it kinda is.  Especially because that's where the laundry is.  And we haven't done it in a while.  And from the looks of things, it might be a while before we can do it again.  

So today, they tore the roof off the bathroom to get it ready to have a second floor put on top.  And inside, they found a nice little nest of mice living in the insulation, and eating the wires.  Yes, live wires.   I wonder how long it would have been before we had a fire, had they not torn this part down?  I'm so glad they did!  While not nearly as annoying as the stinky possum living in the crawlspace, this is a bigger deal.  If only the mice were as cute as the HouseMouse books.  "Has there been a party in your attic?  And a fire on your roof? Maybe you should look around... there's a mouse in the house, and there are clues to be found."  (This quote will mean nothing to most of you. But Lori knows what I'm talking about.)  :)

Yesterday, they were pouring footers.  In the middle of a footer is my son's initials.  Literally in the middle.  They poured half of it.  And left.  While they were gone, he wrote his name with a stick (and me worrying the entire time that he was going to fall in, and how was I going to explain THAT bit of supermom parenting to the paramedics?)  but he didn't fall in.  And today they came back and put the rest of the footers on top.  So it's like a secret written in the stone, that only he and I will ever see.  And I didn't even take a picture.  (Because then it wouldn't be a secret anymore.)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about the mice!! Have you ever thought about why mice show up so cute in books? I wish I knew. You are responsible for me reading books about cute little mice to my kids (Hello, Lilly and Chrysanthemum!). Why couldn't they be cute little things that wear tiny red cowboy boots and want to play Parcheesi (sp?) when they get home from school?
What a relief that your builders are getting rid of the pests! Keep the notes coming!