Monday, July 14, 2008

How do you click more quietly?

Seriously.  I'm in the living room, theoretically editing (I mean, I am HERE now,  but I'm also uploading a slideshow, so technically, I'm still working), and everyone else is asleep.  In the dining room.  Yeah.  

Last night was the first night.  It was our practice run.  We did it right - we kept the kids up until 11 so they'd sleep wherever we put them.  :)  Jos fussed for about a minute, then settled down and slept in her little corner nest (playyard).  We had to keep a light on for her because she was scared.  Which worked for her, but I can't sleep if there is light.  So first we dimmed the dining room light.  Still too bright.  So I used the stovetop light.  Still too bright.  FINALLY she fell asleep and I could turn everything off.    Then I noticed how quiet it was.  Too quiet.  Quiet like when I used to spend the night at my Grandma's house, and I'd be sleeping in the guest room and could hear the clock ticking, and then all I could think about was how LOUD the clock ticked.  (And then, just when I'd almost fall asleep, the cuckoo part would go off.   Damned cuckoo clock.)  Which brings me to the clicking.  I'm on the computer (obviously).  And it clicks.  And they're all right next to me, so my clicking sounds really loud.  I miss my white noise.  I had a fan.  A baby monitor.  The ceiling fans in our rooms.  Lots of white noise.  And the best I can do right now (because there isn't any room in the downstairs for the fan, even if I wanted it!), the best I can do is the radio.   So, for the next several weeks (months?), we will be sleeping to the soothing sounds of the Baroque Channel.  

Did I mention that we were living on one floor (two rooms)?  Four people (and a fish).  Two rooms.  No closets.  Oh, and my business!  My entire office is theoretically going to be condensed to two cabinets.  Which will be a challenge since it's spread out into about 8 plastic bins (and two cabinets) right now.   In addition to the other 5 or 6 bins with clothes, toys, bathroom stuff.  I just took a bunch of pictures to show what a disaster it is right now, but frankly, I'm too embarrassed to post them.  Maybe tomorrow.  

Man,  I miss tv.  We have DirecTV, but it's not getting a signal right now, because the dish is lying on its side in the yard.   Again, one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time - no television for the entire summer!  We're going to read!  Play games!  Write!  Be creative!  Except I miss my shows!  I loved So You Think You Can Dance, and I'm missing it.  I've started watching shows on the computer.  But with everyone in basically one room, well, let's just say my Law & Order routine has been disrupted a bit.

I need to go to bed now.  It's 12:30(ish), and sometime tomorrow morning, much earlier than I want, there will be several men putting holes in my walls.   And it will be loud.  And I'm pretty sure that even if *I* am able to sleep through it (and I can - light drives me crazy, but you could set off a cannon by my head and I'd just snore right on through the boom), even if I can sleep through it, I'm pretty sure Josie can't.  (Ian,  bless his heart, is just like me.  It takes EFFORT to wake us up in the morning!)  So I should go.  I'll post pictures tomorrow.   And maybe even show you the scary parts.  :)


1 comment:

Julia MacInnis Photography said...

OMG -- you are killing me. These are great posts. This was my first time visiting this blog. Forgot about it. KILLS me. GOd bless you and that mess. I couldn't do it!