Saturday, July 19, 2008

Sometimes I just need it to be quiet.

So picture this, if you will.  It's a code-red day outside.  Which means not only is it hot, but it's so unhealthy that you shouldn't even play outside.  And we don't really have an INSIDE to play in, since at the moment, every spare inch is taken up by bins of... stuff.  Clothes.  office stuff.  books.   just stuff.   But I want (need) to work.  I've got a backlog of editing to do and I'm perpetually behind these days.  And I just want to concentrate.  Just for a little while.  But one kid wants Spongebob.  The other wants Diego.  The first one now wants Pokemon.  The other one wants The Dot.  Again.  Damned 5 minute movie that needs to be manually restarted each time.  And I just want... quiet.  I want to go somewhere.  I've toyed with bringing the laptop into the bathroom and closing the door, completely abdicating all parental responsibility.  But I don't.  And sadly, not because I'm such a great mom.  No, it's because there are big gaps in the walls and windows and under the doors, and bugs are getting in, and I H A T E bugs.  Truly despise them.  Yes, yes, yes, I know they're important for the ecology of the planet, blah blah blah, but I hate them.  Just the thought of them makes me feel itchy.  Although that could be residual stress itchiness from hearing the jackhammer ALL DAY LONG on Monday.  (But now there's a hole for the egress window- yay!)  Seriously, on Monday, at a certain point I literally couldn't think straight and my cheeks started itching.  It was the weirdest thing.  I finally gave up and went to my moms.  (I love that at 40 (ish), I still go to my mom when I just need...something.  It fills me with hope that my children will still need me when they're 40, and I won't be locked away in a home somewhere, worried that my socks don't match.)   But anyway, back to the noise... no, the bugs... no, what was before that?  Oh!  The kids.  And the space.  Or rather the lack of it.  We're talking tight quarters.  And a lot of television.  And just too much  noise.  So this is how I got through my morning.  
It was lovely while it lasted.

No comments: