Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I missed it.



I completely missed it.  And I'm feeling awful about it.  And most of you, when you read what it is, will either feel awful for me, or will think I'm a complete whackadoo for thinking this is important. (I strike a lot of people that way, I'm embarrassed to admit.)

So about this house thing.  Houses are built in layers.  There's a dirt and rock layer, then a concrete layer.  Then a wood/insulation/wood layer.  The concrete layer is the most fun.  It's kind of exciting to know that they're basically making a rock that will be in place for a very long time - possibly longer than you.  It's like planting a tree, but much faster (which in itself is funny, because seriously, tree growth?  The only thing slower than building a house, hahaha).  

Okay, sorry.  I got sidetracked.   Back to the layers.  Remember a while back, when they poured the first set of footers, and Ian scratched his name into one when it was about halfway done?  Well, they came back and poured the next set on top - yes - on top of his name.  And so the only people who ever saw it and knew it for what it was - the only people were me and Ian.  And I thought that was kind of sweet.  Until he found out that his name was covered with concrete and he was NOT happy about that.  

But it was okay, mainly because he forgot (thank goodness for heritable traits - he's got my memory issues).  But also because I knew there would be many more opportunities to mark our concrete.  When they poured the foundation, we all leaned outside the kitchen door and planted our hands in the concrete.  All four of us.  The kids hands were so cute!  And I knew I wanted a picture of it, because eventually that would be covered up with flooring and we'd never see it again.  

And here's the thing.  I'm a photographer.  I knew that the only way I was going to get a decent shot of that would be with some very low side-lighting.  And I didn't have anything to do it with at the time.  So for about a month, I'd step over our handprints and think, "oh! I need to do that!"  Well, that's not true.  For about a week.  And then I completely forgot about it (see earlier comment about memory issues).   And life went on.

Today was a pretty normal day in the 'layers' part of the house.  The outside is up, and now they're doing some inside stuff.  They're building walls.  They're putting in stairs.  They're waiting for the tub to get here so they can do the rough-in plumbing (yay!  My own bathroom!  Whoo hoo!)  And they're putting down the subfloor on the main level.  It's really nice, kind of soft and bouncy.   Much nicer than the concrete.  

The concrete.  Uh oh.

I did it again.  I forgot to take the picture.   And is it really that important?  Probably not.  But it kind of was.  It was something that I wanted to remember.  And wanted to photograph, because, as I mentioned, I have a pretty wretched memory.

I'm SO not telling Ian about this one.


Gotta love PhotoMerge.  It looks MUCH better than this now.  That thing on the left? Our temporary wall, blocking the stairs.


1 comment:

Joshua said...

I'm going to drive by your house just to see how it looks now! (you need to post more pictures, girlfriend!)